BAKED BEEF STEW IN A CLAY POT
2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
1.5 pounds grass-fed beef shank (or osso bucco), seasoned
2 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1.5 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
1/2 cup mirin (can use red wine)
14 ounce can stewed tomatoes, diced
1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
1 new potatoes, chopped into 2-inch chunks
4 carrots, chopped into 2-inch chunks
3 stalks celery, chopped into 1-inch chunks
1 large onion, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In a large frying pan heat the oil and sear the shank until browned on all sides.
3. Put the shank into a large clay cooking pot (3 quarts), and cover with stock, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, sea salt and pepper, and mirin. Cover and bake 2 hours.
4. Uncover and remove shank. Remove meat from the bone and chop into 2-inch pieces.
5. Add the meat back into the clay pot with tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion.
6. Cover and continue cooking for 1 hour. Taste to adjust seasoning. Garnish with fresh parsley.
PHOTO: Adam Cloete