GREEK PASTA SALAD WITH RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Yield: 6-8 servings
• For the pasta salad:
• 2 1/2 cups uncooked pasta, such as penne or rotini
• 2/3 cup sliced red onions
• 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup diced cucumbers
• 3/4 cup sliced olives
• 3/4 cup diced green peppers
• 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
• For the vinaigrette:
• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Make the pasta salad:
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it until al dente. Strain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl to cool slightly. While the pasta cools, make the dressing.
3. Make the dressing:
4. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, except for the olive oil. While whisking, stream in the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Add the red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, green peppers and feta cheese to the bowl with the pasta.
6. Pour the dressing over the pasta, tossing to combine, then cover the salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. When ready to serve, toss the pasta salad again and enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Foto: Melissa Ann Vermeulen