Sour Cream Substitutions and Equivalents
There are many substitutes for sour cream, depending on the recipe and your specific needs. Yogurt is an excellent substitute for sour cream in most recipes, but keep in mind it is thinner in texture. Thicken yogurt by draining through a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Substitute one of the following for each 1 cup of sour cream :
• For baking: 7/8 cup buttermilk or sour milk plus 3 tablespoons butter.
• For baking: 1 cup yogurt plus 1 teaspoon baking soda .
• For baking: 3/4 cup sour milk plus 1/3 cup butter.
• For baking: 3/4 cup buttermilk plus 1/3 cup butter.
• Cooked sauces: 1 cup yogurt plus 1 tablespoon flour plus 2 teaspoons water.
• Cooked sauces: 1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice . Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
• Dips: 1 cup yogurt (drain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve for 30 minutes in the refrigerator for a thicker texture).
• Dips: 1 cup cottage cheese plus 1/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk, briefly whirled in a blender.
• Dips: 6 ounces cream cheese plus 3 tablespoons milk, briefly whirled in a blender.
• Lower fat: 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus 2 tablespoons skim milk, whipped until smooth in a blender.
• Lower fat: 1 can chilled evaporated milk whipped with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.