HEARTY FISH CHOWDER
4 slice(s) center-cut bacon
1 large carrot, chopped
1 medium (13-ounce) celery root, peeled and chopped
1 large (12-ounce) all-purpose potato, peeled and chopped
2 small (4 to 6 ounces each) onions, chopped
2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
1 cup(s) clam juice, bottled
1/2 cup(s) water
1 pound(s) skinless cod fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat (2%) milk
Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
1. In 6- to 7-quart saucepot, cook bacon on medium 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels; set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
2. While bacon cooks, in large microwave-safe bowl, combine carrot, celery root, potato, and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on High 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
3. Keep saucepot with rendered bacon fat on medium. Add onion and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add carrot mixture and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
4. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add clam juice and water and whisk until smooth. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Add cod chunks, cover, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until fish just turns opaque throughout.
5. Stir in milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until hot but not boiling. Crumble reserved bacon. Spoon chowder into shallow bowls; garnish with parsley and bacon.
Foto: Elize de Kock