2 x 100g Curry Soya Mince
2 onions, sliced
30 ml oil
5 ml medium curry powder
5 ml turmeric
30 ml white vinegar or lemon juice
15 ml granulated sugar
salt and pepper
1 slice white bread,3cm thick
250 ml milk
2 large eggs
75 g seedless raisins
45 ml fruit chutney
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
20-24 almonds, slivered
6 lemon leaves.
1. Prepare and cook soya mince following the packet instructions. Set aside.
2. In a frying pan, heat oil and sauté onions until soft, not coloured. Stir in curry powder and turmeric, fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
3. Add the vinegar or lemon juice, sugar and seasoning. Stir cooked soya mince into onion mixture and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
4. Soak the bread in the milk; squeeze dry and strain milk, make up to 250ml and set aside. Add bread to soya mince mixture.
5. Mix 1 egg, raisins, chutney and lemon rind into soya mince mixture, combine well and pour into a buttered casserole dish. Add bay leaves, cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven at 180 C until set.
6. Place almonds on top of the bobotie. Whisk remaining milk and egg together. Carefully pour over bobotie. Reduce heat to 160 C and cook for n further 30 minutes, or until custard top has set. Serve with white rice, chutney, banana and apple sambals, or with a mixed salad.
Recipe and photo: Sharon Viljoen